hide You are viewing an archived web page collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 17:35:52 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

     Home > Background > Regions > Venice Hylo > Italian Pioneers

     Venice Hylo:  Italian Pioneers

Visit AlbertaSource!


Early Years

World War I and
Interwar Period

World War II
and After

Cultural Life


Year of the Coal Miner September 2003 - 2004

1 2  |  Page 3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7

  • Salvatore and Florence (Biollo) Giacobbo- Salvatore and Florence Giacobbo Salvatore Giacobbo was born June 29, 1901 in the town of San Zenone degli Ezzelini, Province of Treviso, Italy. He left Italy in August 1923. He first arrived in North America via New York. From there he came to Canada and continued to Edmonton. His first job was working in the coal mines in Cadomin, in 1923 and 1924. Salvatore Giacobbo and Florence BiolloSalvatore then moved to Venice where he worked in tie camps and at the sawmill that was owned by O.J. Biollo.  This is where he first met Florence Biollo, born February 12, 1910 in Winnipeg, daughter of O.J. Biollo.  She would later become his wife.  On November 19, 1925, Salvatore applied for a homestead for the fee of $10 (NE¼ 1-66-15-W4). Angelo Giacobbo After working the sawmill and clearing the land, he finally  planted his first 15 acres in 1928.  On November 16, 1929, Salvatore Giacobbo married Florence Biollo in Lac La Biche and they moved onto his farm.  After numerous attempts at digging wells and having them come up dry, Salvatore applied for another homestead (NE¼  36-65-15-W4) just south of their original homestead in 1931.  Their nine children are Angelo, Doreen, Salvatore Jr., Joanne, Lawrence, Gregory, Valerio, Delphine and Celestine.  

  • Celeste and Irma (nee Tedesco) Giacobbo-Celeste Giacobbo Celeste and Irma Giacobbowas born in Italy and joined hisCeleste and Irma Giacobbo's Family brother Salvatore in Venice, Alberta.  He married Irma Tedesco and worked on the railroad and eventually homesteaded in Venice.  He continued to work on the railway and farm.  The couple had  8 children:  Mary, Gino, Lucy, Romeo, Christina, Angelina, Donnie and Joe.
  • Salvatore and Lottie (nee Stevens) Grandinetti-Salvatore Grandinetti was born in Rovito, Cosenza, Italy, and emigrated to North America in approximately 1910. In Sudbury, Ontario he worked in a nickel mine - it was here he met Lottie Stevens.  They married and moved to Fort Frances, Ontario, where son, Michael, was born on December 2, 1920. Lottie, Salvatore, and Michael Grandinetti The family moved to Edmonton in 1924 where they operated the Blue Bird Cafe, the P.K. Rooms and Confectionery, and the Western Hotel. Salvatore had an opportunity to invest in a homestead in Hylo, and he purchased the NE¼ 28-65-15-W4 from Mr. Morelli in 1928.  On March 30, 1930, Salvatore, Lottie and Michael moved to the homestead in Hylo.  In October of 1933 a daughter, Madonna, was born.  In the spring of 1934, the family home burned to the ground.  They moved into a little granary until Michael finished his school year, then they moved into Edmonton.  In December of 1935 the family moved back to Hylo, where Salvatore farmed grain and cattle, and in the winter continued to make railroad ties.  In 1944, Lottie Grandinetti was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Lottie died on October 2, 1949.  In 1956, Salvatore sold his farm to Mr. and Mrs. Pankiw and moved to Edmonton, where he started an import/export business.  After his retirement, he made two trips to Italy, then made his residence at the Kiwanis Place for Seniors.  At the age of 87 years, Salvatore died on September 16, 1979.  

  • Michael and Sylvia (nee Michetti) Grandinetti-Micheal was born in Fort Frances, Ontario in 1920 and married Sylvia Michetti in 1941.  In 1942, Michael and Sylvia Grandinetti Weddinghe worked at the Abasand Oil in Fort McMurray and then went into the Army briefly until his discharge due to ill health.  He returned to Abasand (the pilot plant for the Great Canadian Oil Sands/Suncor.  When the plant was destroyed by fire, he returned to farming.  In 1962, he began to work with Alberta Government Transportation in the area as a road construction foreman.  In 1978, he and Sylvia moved to Edmonton where he worked at various road construction jobs until retirement.  The couple had three children:  Howard Raymond, Diana Lynn and Jeffrey Rock.
  • Pietro, Francesco, Attilio and Gildo Macor-The brothers were born in Grions, a small village in the province of Udine in northern Italy.  At the age of 10, Frank went to work in Germany, stacking bricks in a brick fabricating plant.  They left Italy in 1911 when Pietro was 25, Frank, 23, Attilio, 21 and Gildo (Guido) was 16.  They worked in the coal mines in Nordegg, Luscar and Cadomin.  Two of the brothers registered homesteads in 1914: T65 R14 NW30 (Peter) and SW30 (Attilio).  The first house the brothers built was on Peter's homestead; Frank, Attilio, and Gildo came to Venice about one year later.  Gildo did not like farming and left to work for the CPR in the Crow's Nest Pass and worked in BC until his retirement.  Frank and Attilio lived in Pietro's house until they built a house on the SW¼  30-65-14-W4.  Frank started corresponding with Anna Bizzaro, a girl he had met once in the village of Flaibano, Udine, Italy, and after a few letters of response to Frank, she was to become a mail order bride.  In May 1922 (at the age of 24), she emigrated to Canada. Frank and Anna Macor, 1922 Frank met her in Edmonton when she arrived and they were married on May 26, 1922 in St. Joachim's Church.  They spent the next seven years living in a small log house with Attilio and his wife Erminia (nee Vinti).  In 1929 Frank and Attilio built a three-room, log house on the northeast corner of section 24, and during the late summer of 1929, Frank and his family moved to their own farm.  In 1932, the family built a larger and more comfortable house.  Frank and Anna had four children over the years (Marie, Lydia, Rina, and Louis).  Macor Family1962, Frank, Anna and Lydia left the farm and moved to an apartment in the city.  Frank passed away in 1961, and Anna followed in 1977.   Their daughter Rina Macor married Tony Bonifacio in 1949 and moved to Edmonton.  Louis Macor married Elizabeth in 1958 and they moved out to the family farm and had seven children (Colleen, Linda, Sharon, Lorraine, Catherine, Marilyn and Frank).  Louis raised cattle and also did vet work in the area until a vet came. 
    Albert Macor
    was the son of Attilio Macor and Erminia Vinti and was born in Venice, Alberta in 1924.  He went to school in Venice and helped his Father on the farm.  He served in the Army but was released because of his Father's ill health.  He worked at the Lac La Biche airport and also landscaped with Joe Bonifacio.  He then worked for the railroad from 1947-58 as foreman of a brushing crew.  He then did went back to construction work and worked seasonally for Alberta Transportation in the summer.  He married Violet Bakay and they had five children:  Brian, Kenneth, Elaine, Bobby and Darlene. 

[<<previous] [continue>>]

[back] [top]

Copyright © 2002 Heritage Community Foundation

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on Italian Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved