Bernard's Mission Church, located in the northern Alberta town of
Grouard, is an important site for First Nations and mission history in
Alberta. Construction was started by Bishop Grouard in 1901 and completed in 1902. This beautiful church is one of three that Bishop Grouard had constructed in the north. Examples of the Bishop’s art can be seen gracing the wall behind the altar. It also houses an excellent collection of early vestments, ecclesiastical objects such as chalices, and incense burners that are displayed in the vestry. The collection belongs to the Oblate Fathers and is a very interesting part of the tour. An optional part of the tour is the cemetery below the church site, where the tombstones of the bishops, brothers and nuns give a sense of the religious importance of the area. A striking feature of this cemetery is the grave markers that reflect the hierarchy within the church. The tombstones of the Sisters of Providence are the smallest and furthest away from the Bishop’s and priests’ grave.