The Bentley area is located west of Lacombe near Gull Lake. The first settlers arrived in the area during the years of 1888 to 1900 and were mainly from the United States. Many of these settlers walked, or drove oxen or horses to Lacombe, which was the closest railroad station. A post office mailing address was needed, so possible names were collected. The Government chose the name on the top of the list being Bentley (name of an early homesteader) and the village was named. The name Oxford was given to the first School District.