The village of Alix was named after Mrs. Alexia Westhead, a pioneer rancher and the first woman settler of the district. The first settlers in the district were English speaking and filed homestead leases after their arrival in the early 1890's. The majority of settlers came from Eastern Canada to Lacombe by railway and travelled by oxen, team or foot to their destinations. Their supplies had to be freighted from Lacombe, a distance of approximately 25 miles. The trip required 11/2 days to accomplish as transportation consisted of horse drawn wagons and buggies. Among these early pioneers were Edward and Walter Parlby, Joseph Todd, J.R. Mackie and F.R. Mitchell. The early settlers carried on for almost 14 years before the village was established. Joseph Todd, owned the land on which the village now stands and for a short while, the settlement was called Toddsville.