<
 
 
 
 
×
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 17:59:45 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information
 
   
 
 
 

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
 
 

Breton, Settlement

The town of Breton received its name from Douglas Corney Breton who moved to Canada at the age of 20. In 1907, people began settling around Breton. The following years brought many more settlers from the areas of Millet, Wetaskiwin, Leduc and the United States. For approximately 30 years, lumbering was the main industry that provided employment for many of the homesteaders. Black settlers from Oklahoma and its neighbouring states founded the town during the first part of the 20th century. Breton started in 1926 as a small village.
The first businesses established in 1926 were Woodcork's Cafe, The Pioneer Hotel, Barber Shop and Breton Grocery Store. Industries and the area's people were responsible for bringing the railway to Breton in 1926. The first school was built in 1927 and the Alberta Provincial Police were moved from Yeoford to Breton in 1928. Breton and district became a major lumbering centre in the late 1920s after the arrival of the railway in 1926. Despite the Depression in the 1930s, Breton continued to grow and businesses continued to be built.
The Breton Hotel and Pool Elevator were built in the 1930s. The Breton Hospital officially opened on September 25,1963. The Treasury Branch opened on May 8, 1961. Breton was incorporated as a Village on January 1, 1957. When the railway was extended the new terminal was named Breton in appreciation of the work done by D.C. Breton.

Breton Hotel

Breton Hotel