hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 18:03:22 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
 
   
 
 
 

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
 
 

Stettler, Settlement

The town of Stettler was named after Carl Stettler, a native of Switzerland who came to Alberta in 1903 and filed on a homestead 2 miles (3.2 kilometres) east of the present site of Stettler. His homestead was the centre of a Swiss-Germany colony that set up a hamlet with a post office on his land in 1905. The post office was named "Blumenau" and Carl Stettler was the first postmaster.

In the fall of 1905 the townsite, which later became Stettler, was put on the market because the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) had just reached this site. The Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR). reached Stettler in 1911.

In the spring of 1906, Carl Stettler built the National Hotel on the site of the present Stettler Hotel. This hotel burned down in 1908 and he started to build another, the National Hotel, on the same site in 1909. The hotel was only partly built when he sold his interest to R.L. Shaw who completed the hotel. In 1942 The National hotel burned down and was replaced by the Stettler Hotel in 1948. Mr. Wilson Pyper built the first hotel on Railway Avenue, the Alberta Hotel.

Stettler was established a village on June 30, 1906 and incorporated as a town November 23, 1906. The first school was held in J.B. Griffith's warehouse and the first school building was constructed in 1907.

In 1913, the town installed a steam-electric plant with a capacity of 150 kilowatts, later increased to 200 kilowatts in 1923. This plant supplied light and power until the Canadian Utilities power line entered the town in 1928.

Lands Agency

Lands Agency