hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 18:05:45 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
Women of Aspenland: Images from central Alberta See more of the Virtual Museum of Canada
English / FrançaisHomeThe ProjectSearchSitemapContactAbout UsEdukits

The Women
Social Landscape
The Region

Search for Aspenland Artifacts
 
Visit Alberta Source!
 
 
Heritage Community Foundation.


The Order of the Sisters of Charity of Notre Dame d'Evron, France

QuickLinks


A saintly widow, Mme. Renée Thulard, founded the Order of the Sisters of Charity of Notre Dame d'Evron, France in 1682. Their aim was to care for the sick, the poor and the orphaned along with the teaching of children. In the spring of 1909, a group of three Sisters including Rev. Mother Marie Cousin, Superior General, accompanied by Rev. Alphonse Lemanceau, chaplain at the Mother House, left France and came to Alberta on an exploratory mission. The purpose of the mission was to find a suitable place for the Sisters where they could continue to minister to the people in need, a privilege denied them in their own country.

First convent, and hospital, Trochu, AlbertaEight Sisters left France that same year and made the journey to Trochu. They set up a hospital, Convent and school. With the wishes of the local population, the Sisters also opened a private school in the coulee with Sister Marie-Joseph Rondo in charge. The Sisters were encouraged by numerous people including Rev. Father J.B. Lemuis, a great apostle of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and a very good friend of the Sisters. He came from France to assist in Montreal and visited Trochu to encourage the group and share with them news from the homeland. The temporary hospital was in operation until the early spring of 1911 and was later torn down in 1975 in order for a new facility.

A total of 36 French Sisters arrived in Trochu to teach and care for the sick.

Featured Article

Armand Trochu and the Ninetieth Anniversary of the Founding of Trochu: A Speech by Jacques Bence

Source:

  • Dodd, Edward J. "Remember when. The History of Trochu and District." Trochu: Trochu History Book Committee, 1976.

 

  
Back
Top

Copyright © 2002 Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved


Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on women and Western settlement, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Communty Foundation All Rights Reserved