hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 18:49:00 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.

Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

Top Left Corner

Top Right Corner

Top Right Corner
Home Top English | Français Sitemap Search Partners Help
Home Bottom
  • Home
  • Land of Opportunity
  • Settlement
  • Rural Life
  • Links
  • Resources
  • Contact Us!
  • Heritage Community Foundation
  • Heritage Community Foundation Logo

Le Heritage Trails sont présentés de courtoisie CKUA Radio Network et Cheryl Croucher

CKUA Radio Network logo

Visit Alberta Source!

Government of Alberta

Government of Canada

 

Ce texte a été publié en anglais et n'est pas disponible en français.

Irish Place Names: Ardenode

Listen to this Heritage Trail

It was a love of Ireland that brought the name Ardenode to Alberta in 1911. As historian Merrily Aubrey explains, this was the name applied to a railway siding between Calgary and Drumheller.

The Canadian Northern Railway roadbed was only partially completed when the railway was bought from the Jensen brothers in 1910. George Davis started construction of the general store in 1911, with the help of his twin sons Roger and Tony.

Major Davis petitioned for a post office to be part of his general store. Well, the store wasn't really built in time, so for a while at least, His Majesty's mail service was conducted out of a tent.

Major Davis needed a name for the siding and his post office, and he looked to his two young sons for help in that matter.

Ardenode came from a list of 14 Irish names that had been submitted by the Davis twins to the Post Office Department and that was the one the post office chose.

The Davis family itself had come from County Kildare where the children had attended school in the village of Kilcullen. So there is the Irish connection there. Major Davis had run the estate of the local nobleman and had served as a veterinarian during the Boer War.

The Post Office at Ardenode had a long life, officially operating from 1915 until it closed in November of 1959.

On the Heritage Trail,

I'm Cheryl Croucher.

Close this window

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on the history of settlement in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.