Their numbers may have been few, but women on campus were among the first to form student organizations. In 1908, the first seven women students formed an organization called SIS, which stood for Society for Independent Spinsters, or—depending on the source—Seven Independent Spinsters. In 1909, a number of female students expressed a desire to form a sorority, but this notion was firmly vetoed by Tory. Instead, the women began the Wauneita Club. Wauneita’s Cree motto was “Payuk uche Kukeyow uche payuk” or, “One for all and all for one.”
Under the direction of the Students’ Union, a variety of student activities and societies were formed.
With Albert Ottewell as its first editor, the University’s official newspaper, The Gateway, began publishing in 1910.
By 1911, the Athletic Society was organizing all sports on campus: hockey, rugby, and baseball.