Faculty of Nursing
A new bilingual nursing program, the first of its kind in western Canada, will allow students to study in both English and French. The new four-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing/Baccalauréat des sciences infirmières (Bilingual) will open with sixteen to eighteen students, all of whom are expected to be fluent in both French and English upon entry. Some courses will be unique to the bilingual program and will address health issues faced by francophone communities."
In 2007, the Faculty of Nursing at the University of Alberta is the largest nursing faculty in Canada and was recognized as a leader in nursing education and research. The Faculty is committed to creating an academic environment that honours teaching, research, scholarship, as well as clinical and community practice and service. The Faculty also works to create health equity in the global community.
The first nursing courses at the University of Alberta were two- to three-month public health certificate courses. In 1923, the Board of Governors approved a School of Nursing, and, in 1976, the School of Nursing received faculty status. The Faculty of Nursing continued to expand both in terms of teaching and research. In 1975, the first graduate program in nursing in Alberta was established, and, in 1991, the first Canadian PhD in Nursing program was introduced.
The Faculty of Nursing uses innovative teaching methods such as context-based learning and flexible delivery. Context-based learning curricula are used by the collaborative baccalaureate program. Students must work together to deal with learning scenarios. This helps students develop critical thinking and team work skills.
For over twenty years, the Faculty of Nursing has been using flexible delivery methods to increase educational opportunities and access to people confined by time and distance. Flexible delivery methods make it possible for students unable to come to Edmonton to receive an education in nursing.
The Faculty of Nursing is actively involved with the international nursing community. In 1992, the Mu Sigma Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) Nursing Honour Society was established at the Faculty of Nursing. Joining STTI, whose mission is to improve the health of people across the world by increasing the scientific base of nursing practice, made the Faculty of Nursing part of a worldwide network of nursing scholars.
As early as 1971, individual scholars from the Faculty of Nursing have consulted in countries such as Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ghana, Guyana, India, Iran, Malawi, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Thailand. In 1998, the International Nursing Centre was established. In 2005, it was renamed the International Nursing Office (INO). The goal of the INO is to help faculty and students in the Faculty of Nursing address global health issues and to facilitate travel and exchanges between the University of Alberta and people from all across the world.
For more information on the Faculty of Nursing, please visit it website.
|Deans of the Faculty of Nursing|
|1976–1980||Amy E. Zelmer|
|Directors of the School of Nursing|
|1957–1976||Ruth E. McClure|
|1946–1956||Helen E.M. Penhale|
|1943–1946||Madeline L. Larson (Acting)|
Agnes Jean MacLeod