1 | Page 2
Building of Church:
- interviewer (Sab Roncucci) asked if they had come from Chicago with a bundle of money for a new church;
Father Bonelli replied that that was "hardly the case!"
- appeal on radio program (Mr. Biagiotto?) for funding; first collection garnered
- was church for sale near Sacred Heart (but there were 3 other catholic churches on the same corner already)
96 Street & 108 Avenue
- Mr. Giannone (owner of Cromdale Hotel) became business partner/advisor - advice was to wait, find land,
build own church
- Mr. Giannone organized, fundraised, & helped construct church in Italian community
- discussion of name for church - Santa Maria Goretti was chosen because she was also an immigrant (came from
- documentary film made of Santa Maria Goretti Parish beginning
- Mayor Hawrelak was at sod turning Sept.8/58
- Sept.11/58, digging began; beautiful fall; by Dec.21/58 church was built and furnished.
- Bishop came Christmas Eve to bless church
- whole community came together to be part - all contributed in some way
- anecdote - Father Bonelli says, "We are recognized as Italians because
our lips are tied with hands," that is, when we move our lips we move our hands.
- priest was secretary on Sab Roncucci's trip to Ottawa for the Italian Congress, where it was noted that
Italians (as a group) in Canada were in least trouble with the law; highest for strong family ties.
Listen to Oral History |
Read Short Biography
Copyright © 2002 Heritage Community Foundation