<
 
 
 
 
×
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Road Star Clinic using Archive-It. This page was captured on 23:31:29 Feb 24, 2018, and is part of the Road Star Clinic Closure collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

This is an archived version of the Road Star Clinic. The Road Star Clinic can now be found at www.roadstarclinic.com. Please join us there!

Road Star Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:running rich
#1013338
davej (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 18167
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Toledo Ohio Birthdate: 1957-00-00
Re:running rich 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
Do you have the plastic spacer and "1" washer under the clip? If so take the washer out and see what it does for you. You are at what Yamaha specs calls for in mpg. We can get it a little better. By removing the washer it will put it at around groove 3 1/2 instead of 4. I think that will get you where you want to be.
 
Logged Logged  
 
dave
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1013342
cike (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 3234
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:running rich 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
davej wrote:
Do you have the plastic spacer and "1" washer under the clip? If so take the washer out and see what it does for you. You are at what Yamaha specs calls for in mpg. We can get it a little better. By removing the washer it will put it at around groove 3 1/2 instead of 4. I think that will get you where you want to be.
Thanks, i'll give it a try
 
Logged Logged  
 

owning a motorcycles not a matter of life or death, its much more important than that
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1013348
HotRodStar (User)
Midnight Rider RRRRRRRR
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 2669
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:running rich 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
Hey Rusty, since its an 04, was wondering if you have given it a Sea-Foam or otherwise "shock" treatment since you have purchased it?? The 04's were prone to SVS and a good "cleanout" of the heads/valves might be in order if you havent done so already.
Just a thought,
Rod
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1013349
cike (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 3234
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:running rich 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
cike wrote:
davej wrote:
Do you have the plastic spacer and "1" washer under the clip? If so take the washer out and see what it does for you. You are at what Yamaha specs calls for in mpg. We can get it a little better. By removing the washer it will put it at around groove 3 1/2 instead of 4. I think that will get you where you want to be.
Thanks, i'll give it a try

I pulled the needle out to take out the washer and realized that I had 2 washers that were stuck together on the bottom and one on top of the clip.
I took one of the lower washers off and left one on.
DaveJ, thanks for helping me get this dialed in. I really appreciate it.
 
Logged Logged  
 

owning a motorcycles not a matter of life or death, its much more important than that
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1013354
cike (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 3234
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:running rich 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
cike wrote:
cike wrote:
davej wrote:
Do you have the plastic spacer and "1" washer under the clip? If so take the washer out and see what it does for you. You are at what Yamaha specs calls for in mpg. We can get it a little better. By removing the washer it will put it at around groove 3 1/2 instead of 4. I think that will get you where you want to be.
Thanks, i'll give it a try

I pulled the needle out to take out the washer and realized that I had 2 washers that were stuck together on the bottom and one on top of the clip.
I took one of the lower washers off and left one on.
DaveJ, thanks for helping me get this dialed in. I really appreciate it.

I just took the bike out for a little spin to see how it did without that second washer.
That missing torque must have been hiding under that little washer. I would have thought that taking that off would have leaned the bike out and actually took away power, instead it gave me all my missing power back.
Who would have thought that one little skinny ass washer would make much of a difference?
I'm glad that you specified "one" washer. While I knew there were only suppose to be one washer there (and I thought there was only one) it made me take a real close look and notice that there was 2 of them.
 
Logged Logged  
 

owning a motorcycles not a matter of life or death, its much more important than that
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1013371
davej (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 18167
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Toledo Ohio Birthdate: 1957-00-00
Re:running rich 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
glad to hear it got sorted out and running good. So I take it that the modded OEM needle worked out just fine??
 
Logged Logged  
 
dave
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1013397
SKWEARpeg (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 12885
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Milton, Florida Birthdate: 1958-00-00
Re:running rich 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
Just checking to make sure the fat plastic spacer is still under the clip, as well as the single washer.
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1013413
cike (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 3234
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:running rich 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
SKWEARpeg wrote:
Just checking to make sure the fat plastic spacer is still under the clip, as well as the single washer.
Yes, I have the plastic spacer and the metal washer.
Davej, the modded needle seems to be fine, I'll get mpg on this next tank and see how we are doing in that dept. now.. been working 6 and 7 days a week 10 hr days, haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with the bike.

Hotrod, I haven't done the sea oak yet other than in the gas.. but it is on my to do list.

Thanks for looking out for me guys
 
Logged Logged  
 

owning a motorcycles not a matter of life or death, its much more important than that
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply
Powered by FireBoardget the latest posts directly to your desktop
...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... -->
New Forum Posts


The Road Star Clinic is a collaborative community of riders who archive and publish user contributed technical data about Yamaha Road Star motorcycles.

Copyright 2003-2007 Road Star Clinic and its respective authors.
<-- -->