<
 
 
 
 
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Road Star Clinic using Archive-It. This page was captured on 05:35:14 Feb 25, 2018, and is part of the Road Star Clinic Closure collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

This is an archived version of the Road Star Clinic. The Road Star Clinic can now be found at www.roadstarclinic.com. Please join us there!

Road Star Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Looking for advice
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Looking for advice
#1014227
Agroomes1 (User)
Fresh Boarder
Posts: 9
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Looking for advice 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
Hey guys I'm new to the forum, and to road stars. Got my bike a few weeks back, it's an 03 Silverado 1600. The bike had sat for a couple years and wasn't running very well, if at all. I negotiated a very good deal and brought her home, pulled the carb, cleaned the jets and put it back together. It ran a lot better but still wasn't right. So out the carb came again and I took it completely apart and cleaned everything. Put it back together and it is running pretty good but still not like it should. A little doggy and I'm getting some popping and backfiring. Also if I'm coasting around 40 I get some studdering and poppingI've been adjusting the pms about 1/4 turn at a time. It doesn't seem to make much difference either way.

Bike has what I believe are cobra slipo on, stock air box stock 165 main, 35 pilot, needle clip is on 3rd ring. Pms is 3 1/2 turns out. As far as I know everything else is stock. My thinking is to start with measuring the float bowl level first And go from there. I'm looking for sujestions or advice. Thanks a lot guys.
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2017/06/15 16:48 By Agroomes1.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014228
brianmac (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 2180
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: FL, South of Daytona
Re:Looking for advice 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
Yes float did u blow put carb with air or clear all passageways
 
Logged Logged  
 
[img size=150][/img]
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014230
Agroomes1 (User)
Fresh Boarder
Posts: 9
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Looking for advice 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
brianmac wrote:
Yes float did u blow put carb with air or clear all passageways

Yes I did blow it out. Sprayed it down good with carb cleaner, and blew air anywhere I could.
 
Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014241
cike (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 3234
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Looking for advice 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
Agroomes1 wrote:
Hey guys I'm new to the forum, and to road stars. Got my bike a few weeks back, it's an 03 Silverado 1600. The bike had sat for a couple years and wasn't running very well, if at all. I negotiated a very good deal and brought her home, pulled the carb, cleaned the jets and put it back together. It ran a lot better but still wasn't right. So out the carb came again and I took it completely apart and cleaned everything. Put it back together and it is running pretty good but still not like it should. A little doggy and I'm getting some popping and backfiring. Also if I'm coasting around 40 I get some studdering and poppingI've been adjusting the pms about 1/4 turn at a time. It doesn't seem to make much difference either way.

Bike has what I believe are cobra slipo on, stock air box stock 165 main, 35 pilot, needle clip is on 3rd ring. Pms is 3 1/2 turns out. As far as I know everything else is stock. My thinking is to start with measuring the float bowl level first And go from there. I'm looking for sujestions or advice. Thanks a lot guys.

when I had my 1600 I ran 35 pilot 172.5 main, needle on 4th, pms 2 or 2.5 turns.
sounds like you may have something that is still not cleaned out. (remember there is also an air jet in the top of the carb under the boot)
Possible you could have an air leak somewhere as well
 
Logged Logged  
 

owning a motorcycles not a matter of life or death, its much more important than that
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014244
Shores (User)
Go getchur scooter!
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 6961
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Location: Puyallup, WA
Re:Looking for advice 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
We assume you cleaned out the fuel tank, pump, filter, etc. Run some Seafoam through it.
 
Logged Logged  
 

The west is the best - Jim Morrison
Photo by GreenMachine
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014247
davej (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 18167
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Toledo Ohio Birthdate: 1957-00-00
Re:Looking for advice 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
First off Cobra slip on mufflers are junk and have a tendency to pop on decel. Are you running a K/N type air filter? if so you are running lean thru all the ranges you should be running a 170 Mikuni main jet, 37.5 pilot jet and the clip in the 4th groove on the needle with a plastic spacer and 1 washer under the clip and the pms should be set at 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns out.
 
Logged Logged  
 
dave
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014255
Father_Pobasturd (User)
VENI VIDI VICI
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 4980
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Buckeye, Arizona Birthdate: 1961-09-11
Re:Looking for advice 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
The symptoms you describe wouldn't be caused by incorrect float level. You go bending on that float tang, you're just asking for trouble. 9 outta 10 times people adjust the float, it didn't need to be adjusted. There's no way the float can be bent out of shape unless someone got in there and fued with it already. Does your bike retain the A.I.S. system? That could be the source of popping on decel.
 
Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014256
yamaleidy (User)
Gold Boarder
Posts: 623
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Goodlettsville,TN Birthdate: 1955-08-12
Re:Looking for advice 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
davej wrote:
First off Cobra slip on mufflers are junk and have a tendency to pop on decel. Are you running a K/N type air filter? if so you are running lean thru all the ranges you should be running a 170 Mikuni main jet, 37.5 pilot jet and the clip in the 4th groove on the needle with a plastic spacer and 1 washer under the clip and the pms should be set at 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns out. Dave could you be more specific? Damn you're good.
 
Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014257
Agpilot (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1568
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Looking for advice 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
davej wrote:
First off Cobra slip on mufflers are junk and have a tendency to pop on decel. Are you running a K/N type air filter? if so you are running lean thru all the ranges you should be running a 170 Mikuni main jet, 37.5 pilot jet and the clip in the 4th groove on the needle with a plastic spacer and 1 washer under the clip and the pms should be set at 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns out.



Get rid of the Slip ons... and then work from there. Those things are junk. Been there done that!
 
Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#1014260
Tealw1 (User)
What Sayeth the Brethren!!!
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1532
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Chula Vista, CA Birthdate: 1968-01-20
Re:Looking for advice 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
Don't forget to give the intake manifold a look. These have been known for cracking and getting an air leak.
 
Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply
Powered by FireBoardget the latest posts directly to your desktop
...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... -->
New Forum Posts


The Road Star Clinic is a collaborative community of riders who archive and publish user contributed technical data about Yamaha Road Star motorcycles.

Copyright 2003-2007 Road Star Clinic and its respective authors.
<-- -->