<
 
 
 
 
×
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Road Star Clinic using Archive-It. This page was captured on 19:59:11 Feb 25, 2018, and is part of the Road Star Clinic Closure collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

This is an archived version of the Road Star Clinic. The Road Star Clinic can now be found at www.roadstarclinic.com. Please join us there!

Road Star Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 2
TOPIC: Bike wont start
#550414
signalzero (User)
Gold Boarder
Posts: 915
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Hudson Fl Birthdate: 1970-00-00
Bike wont start 5 Years, 4 Months ago  
So I go to head out for a ride on this still warm but beautiful October day and the bike wont start. The fuel is on and I turn the key to the on position and the fuel pump runs full force for about 5 seconds then stops (usually its slows before it stops). I try to start it and nothing but the starter turning over. Turn the key off and on and the fuel pump does the same thing. As Im trying to start it the fuel pump will kick on again but still nothing. Correct me if wrong but the fuel pump stops running when the float bowl is full so if the fuel pump start running several times and the motor wont start I should have a heavy smell of fuel from flooding. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Danny.
 
Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#550418
SKWEARpeg (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 12885
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Milton, Florida Birthdate: 1958-00-00
Re:Bike wont start 5 Years, 4 Months ago  
signalzero wrote:
So I go to head out for a ride on this still warm but beautiful October day and the bike wont start. The fuel is on and I turn the key to the on position and the fuel pump runs full force for about 5 seconds then stops (usually its slows before it stops). I try to start it and nothing but the starter turning over. Turn the key off and on and the fuel pump does the same thing. As Im trying to start it the fuel pump will kick on again but still nothing. Correct me if wrong but the fuel pump stops running when the float bowl is full so if the fuel pump start running several times and the motor wont start I should have a heavy smell of fuel from flooding. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Danny.

Run a quick fuel line from the petcock to the carb inlet, and see if she'll catch. If so, then you know the pump is shot. Your right, If the pump was pumping fuel and the needle and seat was stuck open, you'd be smelling fuel big time.

Make sure the petcock is open also. If it's closed, the pump may be running, and not getting any fuel to pump.
 
Logged Logged  
 
Last Edit: 2012/10/11 10:57 By SKWEARpeg.
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#550422
signalzero (User)
Gold Boarder
Posts: 915
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Hudson Fl Birthdate: 1970-00-00
Re:Bike wont start 5 Years, 4 Months ago  
I was thinking of the fuel line bypass, will go get one now. The petcock is open, tried both on and reserve. Thanks.
 
Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#550449
Curt (Moderator)
Never to old to ride!
Moderator
Posts: 22378
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male curt.switzer@outlook.com Location: The Colony, Texas Birthdate: 1943-11-24
Re:Bike wont start 5 Years, 4 Months ago  
If it doesn't start when you bypass the pump take the filter off and twist the throttle watching the accel nozzle in the carb. It should shoot a shot of fuel into the carb if not then the float bowel is dry. If it does shoot fuel then pull your plugs I will bet the rear are fouled and black. My 05 did that with only 3000 miles on it they replaced them and every 1000 miles later it would act up bad. It turned out to be a jetting problem (too rich) and SVS.
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#550476
signalzero (User)
Gold Boarder
Posts: 915
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Hudson Fl Birthdate: 1970-00-00
Re:Bike wont start 5 Years, 4 Months ago  
Ok, so I disconnected the fuel line going into the pump and the one coming out and connected them together to bypass the pump and she started up just fine and ran around the block at a decent speed. So a couple more questions for you, I'm sure I know the answerto one but just to make sure. 1) If its running now after I bypassed the pump I have two options, either replace with a new fuel pump or remove it all together. correct? 2) If the fuel pump is running (and it ran the entire time the motor was running while it was bypassed) why isnt it pumping fuel when it was connected?
 
Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#550482
SKWEARpeg (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 12885
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Milton, Florida Birthdate: 1958-00-00
Re:Bike wont start 5 Years, 4 Months ago  
signalzero wrote:
Ok, so I disconnected the fuel line going into the pump and the one coming out and connected them together to bypass the pump and she started up just fine and ran around the block at a decent speed. So a couple more questions for you, I'm sure I know the answerto one but just to make sure. 1) If its running now after I bypassed the pump I have two options, either replace with a new fuel pump or remove it all together. correct? 2) If the fuel pump is running (and it ran the entire time the motor was running while it was bypassed) why isnt it pumping fuel when it was connected?


Those are your two options. One is significantly better then the other in my opinion.

It's not pumping fuel, because whatever pumps the fuel, no longer fits tight enough to push or pull the fuel(think a pump with bad seals), or something broke inside that's letting the pump work, but not turning whatever makes the fuel come out the end....ie, its running in neutral so to speak.

Here's my vote...
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#550487
jd750ace (User)
Front toward enemy
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 18763
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male jd750ace Location: Waxahachie Texas Birthdate: 1969-10-30
Re:Bike wont start 5 Years, 4 Months ago  
I believe it's a diaphragm type pump, which would require huge suction from the float bowl (which does not happen) to pull through.

Side note: SKWEARpeg, did you change your float valve and seat?
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#550488
SKWEARpeg (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 12885
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Milton, Florida Birthdate: 1958-00-00
Re:Bike wont start 5 Years, 4 Months ago  
jd750ace wrote:
I believe it's a diaphragm type pump, which would require huge suction from the float bowl (which does not happen) to pull through.

Side note: SKWEARpeg, did you change your float valve and seat?


Yes, but I used the Suzi valve instead of the 3.0 Yammie valve for the Grizzly. I plan on an upgrade, and I still haven't checked the float level via the yammie approved method. I just set it by the Odo method.
Riding two up, and hitting the rev limiter in first, and then second, and I can make her stumble in second. Under normal 'not trying to break something' conditions, I have no problems right now.
I figure the float level may be a tad low yet, or the 2.5 suzi is on the low flow side.
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#550525
jd750ace (User)
Front toward enemy
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 18763
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male jd750ace Location: Waxahachie Texas Birthdate: 1969-10-30
Re:Bike wont start 5 Years, 4 Months ago  
I was thinking of dumping my pump when I pull the carb for the jets and the re-route of the case vent to get it out of my intake.
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
#550531
SKWEARpeg (User)
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 12885
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Milton, Florida Birthdate: 1958-00-00
Re:Bike wont start 5 Years, 4 Months ago  
jd750ace wrote:
I was thinking of dumping my pump when I pull the carb for the jets and the re-route of the case vent to get it out of my intake.

You can do it alot more simply then I did. I liked the look of the small breather where the pump use to be. Some other members had done it, and it planted a seed.
The smaller chrome CC breathers (some even come with a mounting tab) are less obvious, and more versatile.
Relocating or cutting the enricher bracket off the bottom of the pump bracket would be an easy fix for you.
 
Logged Logged  
 
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply
Powered by FireBoardget the latest posts directly to your desktop
...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... ...................................................................... -->
New Forum Posts


The Road Star Clinic is a collaborative community of riders who archive and publish user contributed technical data about Yamaha Road Star motorcycles.

Copyright 2003-2007 Road Star Clinic and its respective authors.
<-- -->