hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Washington University in St. Louis using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:10:52 Jan 24, 2019, and is part of the Harley Hammerman Collection on Eugene O'Neill | MSS160 collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Menu Bar

Prior   4. The Oak (Now the Dutch Tavern)   Next

For more than sixty years, the Dutch Tavern on Green Street has been an active "watering spot." In OíNeillís day it was owned by John H. Miller and was known as the Oak, closing its doors in 1920 with the coming of Prohibition. The bar reopened as the Dutch Tavern in the early 1930s.

At the turn of the last century, there were numerous seamenís waterfront saloons as well as respectable taverns throughout New London and its environs. Men met at these establishments for drink, conversation, and conviviality. In many ways these barrooms and taverns functioned as menís clubs, serving those who never would have been invited to New Londonís exclusive Thames Club.

On occasion, the Dutch Tavern has been the setting for staged readings of scenes from OíNeillís cycle of sea plays and The Iceman Cometh.


© Copyright 1999-2007 eOneill.com