<
 
 
 
 
×
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Washington University in St. Louis using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:11:26 Jan 24, 2019, and is part of the Harley Hammerman Collection on Eugene O'Neill | MSS160 collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Menu Bar


Prior   18. The Casino   Next

 
In 1890 the Pequot Casino Association was formed by the socially prominent families who owned Pequot Colony summer cottages. Their first casino burned in 1893. It had been a private home adapted to serve as a casino. In 1894 the Association purchased waterfront property and built a spacious Shingle Style casino with "two dining rooms, as well as a ballroom, a billiard room and tennis courts" (Gelbs, LWMC, 358). They also built a gazebo out on the rocks. The moonlit Casino pier serves as the setting for the Prologue and Epilogue of O’Neill’s play The Great God Brown (1926). The Pequot Casino represented a social world where an Irish touring actor and his family would never be welcomed, and the young playwright’s sense of exclusion is clearly expressed in the play’s Epilogue when his characters are described listening to "the sound of the waves" and the Casino’s "distant dance music" (Collected Plays, 641).

The Casino with the pier to the gazebo, c. 1910

 

© Copyright 1999-2007 eOneill.com