The Commission has just published the results of four studies whose findings have provided input to the preparation of the European Electronic Communication Code, which proposes to modernise the current EU telecoms rules. The four studies, which have been conducted by independent consultants, aim to analyse market developments and technological changes in different areas of the electronic communications sector and evaluate the current regulatory regime in place with the view to identify policy and regulatory options and provide recommendations to the Commission.
These studies are:
- Regulatory, in particular access, regimes for network investment in Europe (SMART 2015/002)
- Support for Impact Assessment, Review of the regulatory framework for electronic communications (SMART 2015/0005)
- Review of the scope of Universal Service (SMART 2014/0011)
- Future trends and business models in communication services (SMART 2013/0019)
- Substantive issues for review in the areas of market entry, management of scarce resources and general end-user issues (SMART 2015/003)