<
 
 
 
 
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:03:53 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

Search Results for Driving Tours

1 result(s) for Bellevue were found. Please choose from the list below.

Title Description Map
BellevueWest Canadian Collieries Limited began active development of both the mine and the townsite of Bellevue in 1903. The French-based company had begun prospecting in the Pass in 1898, and subsequently bought 20,000 acres of land that encompassed the future townsite of Lille to the north, Blairmore to the west and Byron Creek to the south. Rich coal seams were located immediately beside the railway line in the valley at Bellevue, and the level land above the mine was an ideal place for a townsite. Bellevue received its name when Elise, daughter of the first manager. Frenchman Jules J. Fleutot, expressed her delight with the view on her arrival at the townsite. View Map

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved