<
 
 
 
 
×
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:04:26 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
When Coal Was King
Industry, People and Challenges
Heritage Community Foundation, Year of the Coalminer, Albertasource and Cultural Capital of Canada logos

Home     |      About     |      Contact Us     |      Sponsors     |      Sitemap     |      Search

spacer
spacer
Bankhead Mine
quicklinks
quicklinks

Coal mine, Bankhead, Alberta. [n.d.]In 1904, Mine No. 8 opened at the base of Cascade Mountain, 4 kilometers from Banff. The town of Bankhead formed around the mine.

Bankhead was a CPR town to the core. It was named by Lord Strathcona after Bankhead, Banffshire, Scotland and was planned for 1500 people. The town had all the amenities and had electricity before Banff or Canmore. It was a popular tourist destination and visitors coming by train would often disembark at the Bankhead station and take a wagon to Banff.

However, the Bankhead mine did not last. On June 15, 1922, the mine closed, leaving its 900 residents to find homes. The postwar depression combined with a strike and political pressure to stop industry in the national park forced the CPR to close the town.

bottom spacer

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on coal mining in Western Canada, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Communty Foundation All Rights Reserved