In 1912, the Georgetown Coal Company built a mine five
kilometres west of Canmore. The English investment firm had
high expectation for Georgetown and built a town and mine to
attract only the best miners.
Unfortunately, unexpected financing problems plagued the
Georgetown Coal company almost from the beginning. In 1916, a
storm threatened the CPR spur track, which conveyed the coal
from the mine to the main line. In an attempt to save the
tracks, Georgetown Coal Company employees worked
around-the-clock to divert the oncoming torrent. Although
success, the three-week manpower operation was costly. Coupled
with another downturn in coal markets and rising costs of
shipping, the Georgetown Coal Company was losing money fast and
sold out. Like other failed operations in the area, operations
were moved to Canmore.