The hamlet of Commerce started out as a
halfway point between Lethbridge and the "north country" of
Turin and Sundial. It began with homesteaders and opened up to
miners and businessmen when the Chinook Mine came in. The
Commerce area originally was an extension of Diamond City, but
as it grew it became fairly self-sufficient. It boasted its own
post office, stores, elevator, clubs, school and restaurant.
Many "old-timers" recall the dances held in the hayloft of the
Weigand farm, or in the school.
The Commerce post office opened February
1. 1913 and closed March 31, 1931. The three postmasters during
this time were W. Glasgow, F. Chipman and W. T. Rogers.
Commerce also had an interesting past,
with corruption among the town councillors: name changes to the town; and the sudden
closing of the mine.
The familiar red slag heap, which has long
been the landmark of Commerce is now gone, but signs still point
the way. to the few homes that are in the area.