St. Albert storeowner H.W. McKenney and Edmonton telegrapher Alex
Taylor shared Northern Alberta’s first "long-distance" telephone
line, when the newly completed line between the two communities was
tested on 3 January 1885.
During that first telephone call, Taylor spoke the following
words to the Oblate missionary, Reverend Father Hippolyte Leduc: "We
wish you all a very happy new year." McKenney’s business was located
at his residence, and according to Linda Goyette’s book, Edmonton:
In Our Own Words, listeners at Taylor’s telegraph office reportedly
"were astonished to hear the sound of meat sizzling in a frying pan
in McKenney’s kitchen 14 kilometres away." As well, the sound was so
clear that the scratching of the pens of the operators at either end
could be heard as they wrote down the messages.
By April, however, McKenney announced that he was replacing the
telephone with a telegraph. On 11 April, rumours of a slaughter of
residents in nearby Fort Saskatchewan had been sent via the
telephone from the store in St. Albert. The rumours proved false,
but by then, the Alberta Field Force was on its way from Calgary,
and some Edmontonians had left their homes fearful that a similar
fate awaited them outside the palisades of Fort Edmonton. Other
residents had turned cattle loose, suffering a great financial loss.
In her book, The Wired City: A History of the Telephone in Edmonton,
Margaret Stinson suggests that McKenney felt partly responsible for
After McKenney retired from business in 1903, he was elected to
the legislature as the member from Pembina.
Copyright © 2004
Heritage Community Foundation and
Telephone Historical Centre All Rights Reserved