In November 1902, W. McKay was sent by the Alberta government on
a crew to finish construction on the long-distance line between
Riviere Qui Barre and St. Albert. The Riviere Qui Barre line would
then be extended from the Alexander Mission to the government farm
buildings on the Alexander Indian Reserve, 9.6 kilometres away.
There was a rush to finish the line before winter set in and
froze the ground, rendering it impossible to install the telephone
poles. The work crew did win the race: the line was completed in
early January 1903, and telephones installed.
Copyright © 2004
Heritage Community Foundation and
Telephone Historical Centre All Rights Reserved