French settlement in the Peace River area was promoted by the
Oblate missionaries who recruited settlers mainly from Quebec.
In 1912, a couple dozen homesteads were registered by
French-Canadians and the numbers increased until the 1950s, when
the town of St. Isidore was established.
Life was rather primitive to begin with as there was no
railroad, and the dirt roads were often impassable, but the
promises of the fertile soil attracted grain farmers and a
considerable community developed on these fine prairies which
are blessed with the long sunny days of the northern summer.