The institution which we know as the Faculté Saint-Jean of
the University of Alberta was first established in 1908 in
Pincher Creek. Initially a "juniorat" where young men could
train to become priests, the establishment was moved to Edmonton
two years after it opened. The school was moved to its present
location in 1911.
When the Jesuit College in Edmonton was closed in 1942, the
juniorat became a college, offering classical education to young
men at the secondary school level and beyond, as it was
affiliated with the University of Ottawa at the time.
Since 1926, girls had attended the Convent of the Sisters of
the Assumption. It was only in 1960 that women were accepted at
the College Saint-Jean. In 1963, the college began to offer
courses in education and became affiliated with the University
of Alberta, and more specifically, the arts department in 1966.
The Oblates directed the institution until 1977, when it was
turned over to the University of Alberta and became a faculty of