In 1911, a branch of the Société du parler français was
established in Alberta. Founded in Quebec, from its inception
the organization was aimed at promoting the French language and
the interests of those who spoke it.1
The first pan-Canadian organization of its sort, the Société
held a national congress in Quebec City in June of 1912, a move
that sparked the imagination of French-speaking citizens in
The provincial branch of the Société decided to organize an
annual congress to be held in Alberta, an idea that was met with
rousing success. The guest of honour in 1913 was none other than
statesman and newspaper editor, Henri Bourassa.
There is no doubt that the Société would have enjoyed further
success if not for the outbreak of the First World War.
Nevertheless the ladies at St. Joachim parish founded a French
language society, and opened an office in the northern part of
the province to promote the settlement of French-speakers in