hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:21:20 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.

Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia


Dunne-za Reserves

Despite encouragement from missionaries and traders to extend the treaty system further north, the government delayed doing so until 1899. "It was the expansion of settlement northward, and the discovery of oil and other mineral deposits, that finally brought about a change in government policy," (Francis and Payne, p. 96).

Treaty Eight was eventually signed at Fort Dunvegan by the Dunne-za leader Natooses on behalf of thirty-three of his people who were present. Further signings occurred in 1900 and 1910 (Can. Encyc.). According to Francis and Payne, even after signing Treaty Eight the Dunne-za near Dunvegan showed little interest in reserves until two leaders, Nepee and Natooses, asked for reserve land. Shortly there-after, initial reserves were established adjacent to the current town of Fairview and six miles below Dunvegan (Francis and Payne, p. 100).

We are told that in 1928 both these pieces of land were surrendered and the proceeds went to purchase a new reserve at Clear Hills. The band at Clear Hills is said to have entered Treaty Eight in 1900 (GNCA, p. 117). The Horse Lake reserve further south is named for the lake on which it sits.

Boyer River and Child Lake reserves are on the Boyer River near Fort Vermilion and are occupied by the Beaver First Nation. We are told that headman of the Boyer River Band, Ambrose Tete Noir, signed Treaty Eight in 1899 (GNCA, p. 93).


Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on place names of Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.

Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved