Page 1 | 2 | 3
A summary of the oral history transcript of August (Gus) and Assunta
(Sue) Dotto, as well as Sue's
sister, Emilia Raffin. They discuss life in Italy, moving
to Canada, employment opportunities, and how they met.
Assunta (Sue) Dotto :
- Born in 1922, in a small place near Valvazone.
- She went to school there with her five sisters, and
her father was already in Canada farming.
- In 1939 Assunta, her mother, and three of her sisters
made the move to Canada. Of the two remaining sisters,
one went to South America as a missionary nun, the other
was already married.
- In Canada her parents farmed. They also had their
father's brother living with them, which was Italian
- She remembers life in Italy, and wanting to go to
school so badly that she went through grade three twice
because her country school only went to that grade. Then
her mother allowed her to go to the bigger city to take
grade four, until her uncle needed her to work on the
- After she left school at the age of 11 she helped her
mother at the house, and her uncle on the farm.
- At age 14 she took a job as a maid in Milan. She had
two hours of free time on Sunday afternoons, other than
that it was work, work, work! She worked for a young
couple for two years, living in a small room with an
Listen to Oral History | Read Short Biography