hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:30:10 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
Heritage Community FoundationAlberta's Political History - The Making of a Province
SearchContactPartnersHelpSitemap
Institutions and ProcessPeopleEventsCanada's Digital Collection Home > Institutions and Process > Institutions > Legislature and Interpretive Centre
Political Institutions

McDougall school, designed by A.M. Jeffers Legislature and Interpretive Centre

A.M. Jeffers, the architect who designed Alberta's Legislative Assembly Building, was born in Pawtucket, Rhode Island in 1875.  He studied architecture at the Rhode Island School of Design before moving to Edmonton in 1907 and replacing Edward Hopkins as Provincial Architect.  Jeffers supervised work on the Legislative Assembly Building from 1907 to 1912.  He is also credited with designing a number of Alberta's best known public buildings, including courthouses in Calgary, Fort Saskatchewan, Cardston and Wetaskiwin, and McDougall School (now McDougall Centre) in Calgary.

The Legislature grounds, with Fort Edmonton in frontWhen Jeffers resigned as Provincial Architect in 1912, Richard Blakey took over the project and completed the building.  Blakey made a number of changes in Jeffers' design, particularly in the rotunda and grand staircase.

Jeffers served as the City of Edmonton's architect until 1915, before going into private practice.  In 1923 he moved to California where he died in 1926.

    

BackNext

Information reprinted with permission from Alberta Community Development, Cultural Facilities and Historical Resources Division.



Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on political life in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Communty Foundation All Rights Reserved