Alberta's first provincial general election took place on
November 9, 1905. The Liberals under Alexander Cameron Rutherford won a
convincing victory, taking 23 of 25 seats. They lost only the High River
and Rosebud constituencies.
On March 15, 1906, the First Session of the First Legislature met at Edmonton's Thistle curling rink. A crowd of
well-wishers and dignitaries were there to mark this historic event. After
the opening, the Legislature moved to a temporary home on the third floor of McKay Avenue School . The Assembly continued to meet there until it moved
to the Legislature Building in 1911.