The roots of the Canadian Hungarian Cultural Society of Edmonton
can be traced to the early decades of the 20th century when an influx of
brought to Alberta a group of people dedicated to adjusting to their
new environment, while maintaining their heritage. This community
was the foundation for the Hungarian Cultural Circle of Edmonton (Magyar Kultúrkör
Hungarian), formed in 1945 and renamed the Canadian Hungarian
Cultural Society of Edmonton in 1967.
During the first decades following its inception, the Hungarian Cultural Circle organized
large gatherings and events such as
plays, poetry readings and musical performances, despite not
having a permanent meeting place. As time passed the group
continued to demonstrate a high level of social and cultural
activity and served as an essential support network for new Hungarian
immigrants, helping them to find residences and adjust to their new homeland.
The 1960s and 1970s were a productive and active time for the
organization. They published their first cookbook, Hungarian
Rhapsody, and, most importantly, purchased and renovated a former monastery
to be Hungarian
House, a permanent meeting place. In 1979, the Society participated in
Festival celebrations. The event was a remarkable success and the Society has
subsequently been a regular
and active participant in the annual festival. In addition to Hungarian House, in 1985 the Society officially opened
the Hungarians' Senior Citizens Home.
The Canadian Hungarian Cultural Society of Edmonton continues as
one of the most active Canadian-Hungarian organizations,
participating in cultural events and working to preserve Hungarian-Albertan history.