<
 
 
 
 
×
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 17:21:21 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

V. L. Douglas Hawkes

The family of Vernon L. Douglas Hawkes was from the Delacour, Alberta area. Doug's parents were Jemima and Vincent L. Hawkes. Douglas was born in 1916. In the 1910s his father co-owned McClellan and Hawkes grocery store and Imperial Meat Market in Calgary.

Doug was a travelling salesman based in Calgary before the Second World War. He was an RCAF bomber pilot in the 419th Squadron during the war, and a POW in Germany.

After the war he established Doug Hawkes and Associates, a real estate and insurance company in Calgary. He subsequently formed the Real Estate Department at the Montreal Trust Co. and after ten years joined A.E. LePage Commercial Realty, Ltd.

In 1953 he helped initiate the formation of the Calgary Community Foundation (later the Calgary Foundation), which is authorized to receive and administer gifts and bequests for the support of health, welfare, recreational, educational and cultural services in the community, and served as director of the foundation. He was president of the Glendale Kiwanis Club in the late 1950s and early 1960s and instrumental in its establishment of the River Park Arboretum in 1959.

He and his wife, Dorothy, retired in 1991.

This biography is adapted from the V.L. Douglas Hawkes fonds of the Glenbow Archives. Copyright © Glenbow Archives, Calgary

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on the real estate industry in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.

Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved