<
 
 
 
 
×
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 17:23:12 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

Feature Article Database

New Search

Browsing category: Landmark Buildings and Places


  Total Records Found: 43   -   Page 1 of 5  [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Last
  • 56TH STREET
    Describes the history of the development of Red Deer’s 56th Street, a historical residential neighbourhood.
  • A HOUSE FIT FOR A BARD
    This article describes the history of Bard house, a neo-Georgian mansion built during Edmonton's first boom period for Strathcona entrepreneur Delmar Bard.
  • A NEW FUTURE FOR THE ROSSDALE POWER PLANT
    The Rossdale Power Plant, built in 1902 to replace the Edmonton Electric and Power Company's first power plant near the current location of the Low Level Bridge, is set to be decommissioned in 2009. This article discusses the future of this historically important structure.
  • A NEW WORLD TRADE CENTRE FOR EDMONTON
    This article discusses the transformation of the historic Imperial Bank of Canada, downtown, into a new World Trade Centre for Edmonton.
  • A WORLD CLASS HEART INSTITUTE
    The Mazankowski Heart Clinic, set to open in 2008, designed by both architects and cardiovascular specialists, is a breakthrough innovation, both in its design and its function.
  • ALBERTA PROTESTANT HOME FOR CHILDREN
    The Alberta Home for Protestant Children opened during the height of the Great Depression in 1934. For 32 years, this orphanage was home to many needy and abandoned children.
  • ALBERTA'S BIG ROADSIDE ATTRACTIONS
    Over the past century, with the Alberta's population flowing towards the city, many small towns were abandoned. In order to retain a vital tourism economy, a tradition among small towns was to build giant roadside monuments, such as Vegreville's giant Pysanka and the UFO landing pad in St. Paul.
  • BEVERLY'S LANDMARK HOTEL
    Fifty-five years ago on May 26th, the Drake Hotel officially opened. The event gave notice to the rest of the area that the Boom was on in Beverly.
  • BRITISH AVIATORS LEARN TO FLY AT PENHOLD BASE: 1941
    When the Second World War broke out, there were intensive discussions as to how Canada could best support the war effort. One key decision was to have Canada take the lead role in training the Air Force.
  • CANADIAN CONSOLIDATED RUBBER COMPANY WAREHOUSE
    Erected in 1913 and designed by Roland W. Lines, the Canadian Consolidated Rubber Company Warehouse, a red brick industrial building, was touted as fireproof. This article describes the construction and design features of the building.

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on the real estate industry in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.

Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved