<
 
 
 
 
×
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 17:23:22 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

Feature Article Database

New Search

Browsing all articles


  Total Records Found: 132   -   Page 1 of 14  [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Next 10 Pages Last
  • 1913 BOOMTIME BUILDINGS, LOST IN TIME
    The year 1913 marked the end Edmonton's first real estate boom. This article discusses a few of the buildings that went up in 1913, and that no longer exist " the Civic Block, Shaw Mansion, and Edmonton Gardens.
  • 56TH STREET
    Describes the history of the development of Red Deer’s 56th Street, a historical residential neighbourhood.
  • 60 YEARS OF BLACK GOLD
    The discovery of oil in Leduc in 1947 set off decades of economic prosperity in Alberta, leading to years of booming real estate construction. This article looks at the Leduc No. 1 oil well, and the Canadian Petroleum Discovery Centre built around it in 1997.
  • A HOUSE FIT FOR A BARD
    This article describes the history of Bard house, a neo-Georgian mansion built during Edmonton's first boom period for Strathcona entrepreneur Delmar Bard.
  • A LEGACY OF JUST TEN YEARS WORK
    This is the story of Edmonton architect Roland W. Lines, who designed such structures as the Union Bank Inn, the Canada Permanent Building, and the first Royal Alexandra Hospital. His career left an indelible mark on Edmonton, despite being cut short by his death during the First World War.
  • A MAN NAMED MALCOLM GROAT
    Malcolm Groat, for whom Edmonton's Groat Road and Groat Estates were named, worked at many trades with the Hudson's Bay Company until he became rich through real estate speculation during the early years of the 20th Century.
  • A NEW FUTURE FOR THE ROSSDALE POWER PLANT
    The Rossdale Power Plant, built in 1902 to replace the Edmonton Electric and Power Company's first power plant near the current location of the Low Level Bridge, is set to be decommissioned in 2009. This article discusses the future of this historically important structure.
  • A NEW WORLD TRADE CENTRE FOR EDMONTON
    This article discusses the transformation of the historic Imperial Bank of Canada, downtown, into a new World Trade Centre for Edmonton.
  • A WORLD CLASS HEART INSTITUTE
    The Mazankowski Heart Clinic, set to open in 2008, designed by both architects and cardiovascular specialists, is a breakthrough innovation, both in its design and its function.
  • A.J. DAVIDSON SOLD BEVERLY
    Robertson-Davidson Real Estate Company began offering lots in the area of Beverly, on the outskirts of oEdmonton. This article recounts the life of A.J. Davidson, who helped sell the Town of Beverly to the public.

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on the real estate industry in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.

Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved