<
 
 
 
 
?
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 18:04:46 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

Historic sign to be unveiled June 24

At 10 o'clock Saturday morning, June 24, Minister of Culture Horst Schmid and Consumer Affairs Minister Graham Harle will unveil an historic sign to commemorate the Estonian settlement around Linda Hall around 1903. The sign is located on Highway 56 at the junction with Linda Hall Road south of Stettler.

Following the ceremony, a light lunch will be served at Linda Hall. An oldtime Estonian picnic will take place in the afternoon with the Estonians taking on the World in horseshoes, nail driving, tug-o-war and ball. Other festivities will take place in the hall.

Estonians from all over the province will attend, and it is hoped the Stettler Community will be out in good numbers. The convener is J.J. Tipman. Following is wording on the sign:

Estonian Settlement
"Oppression was theirs in the old country, freedom and land in the new. The first Estonians to settle in Alberta were the Kingsep brothers, who homesteaded north of Red Deer in 1898. Several settlements sprang up around the province, the largest being at Eckville in the Medicine River Valley and in the Linda Hall district south of Stettler. These prosperous farming communities proclaim the diligence of the Estonian pioneers, their culture and their faith."

Unknown

Alberta's Estonian Heritage
Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
††††††††††† For more on Estonian Alberta, visit Peelís Prairie Provinces.

Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved