<
 
 
 
 
×
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 18:34:25 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

Feature Article Database

New Search

Browsing articles by Michael Dawe


  Total Records Found: 49   -   Page 2 of 5  First [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Last
  • JOHN T. MOORE
    One of the most influential people in the development of Red Deer is someone who has generally been forgotten, John T. Moore. His company at one time owned 180 sections of land in Central Alberta.
  • NAMES OF RED DEER
    When the hamlet of Red Deer was first developed in November 1890, all the streets and avenues were given names by the Calgary and Edmonton Railway Company and their agents, Osler, Hammond and Nanton of Winnipeg who developed and marketed the townsite.
  • RED DEER'S PIONEER OIL BOOM
    While most people view the discovery of oil at Leduc in 1947 as the start of Alberta's great oil and gas boom, in fact there was a much earlier "black gold" rush in Alberta " the Turner Valley oil strike of 1914.
  • PARKVALE
    Parkvale Estates on the southwestern corner of Red Deer's river valley, was developed b the prestigious real estate firm of Micherner and Carscallen in 1905.
  • RED DEER HOUSING SHORTAGE
    One of the worst shortages in Red Deer's history occurred during the Second World War and immediately afterwards.
  • GEORGE WILBERT SMITH
    One of the true pioneers and community builders of Red Deer was George Wilbert Smith.
  • SUBDIVISIONS OF RED DEER
    One hundred years ago, the new Town of Red Deer began to grow. New subdivisions started to be developed outside the original townsite. Some were very small areas and were given such names as Rosedale and River Park on the south bank of the River and Brookside on the west side of Waskasoo Creek.
  • WASKASOO SUBDIVISION
    The origins of the Waskasoo subdivision north of the 55th Street and east of Waskasoo Creek, go back to the early 1880's, when the Saskatchewan Land and Homestead Company purchased more than 115,000 acres of land in and around Red Deer.
  • R.B. WELLIVER
    One of the most popular winter pastimes in Central Alberta is curling. One of the most outstanding of Red Deer's early curlers was Robert Barclay (Bert) Welliver, who owned a real estate and insurance business for 40 years.
  • WOODLEA
    2005 marks the 100th anniversary of one of Red Deer's oldest neighborhoods, Woodlea, which lies north of Ross Street and south of 55th Street, with Waskasoo Creek on the west and the base of the East (Michener) Hill on the east.

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on the real estate industry in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.

Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved