<
 
 
 
 
×
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 18:34:25 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

Feature Article Database

New Search

Browsing articles by Michael Dawe


  Total Records Found: 49   -   Page 3 of 5  First [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Last
  • GREENE BLOCK
    One of the most beautiful buildings in the heart of downtown Red Deer is the sandstone Greene Block, which stands on the south-west corner of Ross Street and Gaetz Avenue.
  • RED DEER BECOMES A DIVISIONAL POINT FOR CPR: 1907
    Sometimes major news stories do not get a lot of attention, at least not at first.
  • VILLAGE OF NORTH RED DEER ESTABLISHED IN 1911
    When the townsite of Red Deer was first laid out by the Calgary-Edmonton Railroad in 1890-91, the en¬tire community was located south of the Red Deer River.
  • RED DEER GREW QUICKLY DURING EARLY BOOM: 1912
    Red Deer has enjoyed a number of remarkable boom years over the past century. Still, it is hard to equal the won¬derful growth and heady sense of op¬timism that the community enjoyed in 1912.
  • RED DEER BECAME ALBERTA'S SEVENTH CITY: 1913
    During the early part of the last century, Red Deer enjoyed one of the greatest booms in its history. The population of the community increased ten¬fold from a mere 323 in 1901, when Red Deer was incorpo¬rated as a town, to nearly 3,000 a dozen years later in 1913.
  • REAL-ESTATE COLLAPSE LEFT RED DEER NEAR BANKRUPT: 1921
    In November 1921, the Calgary-Edmonton Townsite Co. offered to turn over all of their property in Red Deer to the city in order to clear up the tens of thousands of dollars of taxes owing on the company's holdings.
  • JOBS LOST, PAY CUT AS DEPRESSION HIT BOTTOM: 1922
    People often think of the Great De¬pression of the 1930s as the worst economic times ever experienced. However, at least for Central Al¬berta, one can argue that times were much worse in the depression that followed the end of the First World War.
  • TRAINING SCHOOL FOR MENTALLY DISABLED KIDS OPENS: 1923
    In 1912-13, the Presbyterian Church built a magnificent four storey brick college on the brow of the East Hill, overlooking the City of Red Deer. The Alberta Ladies College was designed to give "girls in Western Canada and especially girls in rural areas, the opportunity of receiving an education under Christian auspices."
  • ELECTIONEERING BROUGHT CITY A NEW COURTHOUSE: 1930
    One of the most beautiful old buildings in Red Deer's downtown is the old Red Deer Courthouse. However, when it was built in 1930, it was also one of the most controversial projects in Red Deer's history. For many years, Red Deer had needed a new courthouse building.
  • RED DEER PLUNGES INTO DEPTHS OF DEPRESSION: 1933
    In October 1929, the stock markets crashed and an incredible world-wide economic depression set in.

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on the real estate industry in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.

Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved